My Blog Guest

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Nostalgia

Pictured at left are me and my three children, Rachel, Gaby, and Jordan on an Easter morning in March1989. Where does the time go?

Easter is this weekend and I miss having little children to celebrate it with. My kids are all grown up starting families of their own. This time of year impresses certain things upon me. First, that some religious traditions stress Lent or a season of giving up things. But I feel that we should live no differently this time of year than at others. Our walk with Christ should be steadfast and unchanging, a day to day course of living out his principles.

Second, that Easter, which celebrates Christ's resurrection, comes at just the right time of year--spring time. New life bursting forth in brilliant flowers and beautiful greens exhilarates me.

Third, that we should approach the season with child like wonder and joy. Fond memories of growing up include getting a new hand-made dress and Easter bonnet and feeling like a million bucks. I know it really shouldn't have been about the attire, but something about that made me feel like a princess. I loved dying Easter eggs with my siblings, and then as a young mom spending time with my kids doing so. It brought out the creative side of me and them and gave us permission to do daring things like mix colors, experiment and push the edge of status quo. Mom and Dad always hid our Easter baskets, filled with all kinds of sweets.  And then there was hiding Easter eggs outside. Seems like we always found one or two months later in the yard which reminds me of the delightful surprises God sometimes gives us when we are least expecting it.

Finally, the celebration is something we should carry in our hearts year round. Knowing that Jesus actually lived and breathed, died and truly resurrected, just for us, well-that is something to hold on to with joy for the rest of our lives.


2 comments:

  1. Every Spring I feel the urge to give up things and reorganize or clean out stuff. Whether it is a Lenton tradition or not it is very good to do this. Others may feel dismissed by your comment. My mum-in-law's church does the Lenton tradition.I understand what you are saying but there is a time and a season. Nature tells us about transitions and there is a time to sow and a time to reap. In the sloughing off process. there is a time to "get rid of" that which is dross etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks commenting. I think Americans are especially blessed and we take much of it for granted. Periodically evaluating what we have and, as you say, cutting back and relinquishing is a good thing, but it needn't be a calendar thing but rather a heart thing. The Lenten tradition makes us more aware of what we can give up and that's not necessarily a bad thing and I certainly didn't mean it that way.

      Delete