My Blog Guest

Monday, May 14, 2012

Nothing Beats Sweet Family Gatherings

This past weekend, Jeff and I made a last minute decision to drive up to Lynchburg, VA from Hickory, NC to attend our niece Brooke's college graduation. We picked my mother up from assisted living in Lewisville. Our stay was short and sweet, just Saturday and part of Sunday morning. But we packed in the fun and memories. I am so glad we went. The days of us all gathering at my mother's house are over. We have to find new ways and places to gather. This coming weekend we'll hold a garage sale to help clear out her house and then we'll put it on the market. An era is passing away.

Being with family this weekend underscored more than ever the value of family, and, how fleeting time is. It slips by so quickly and in the moment we don't see it passing away. It's only when we compare the yesterdays with the todays, looking at old photos and how we've all grown and aged that we realize that life is so very temporary. I watched my mother struggle with remembering even the basic things. She sat through the graduation ceremony only to forget later she'd even attended. "When is graduation?" she asked as we gathered with family at the grad party afterwards. I gently reminded her she'd already attended.

More than ever I wanted to preserve family memories. As a writer/artist I am always working on one art project or another, but rarely do something for myself. Finally, I found a way to capture some of these precious moments and memories. You can find more about the heirloom mirror on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment