My Blog Guest

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Author Interview with Patrick E. Craig

Patrick E. Craig is a lifelong writer and musician who left a successful songwriting and performance career in the music industry to follow Christ in 1984. He spent the next 26 years as a worship leader, seminar speaker, and pastor in churches, and at retreats, seminars and conferences all across the western United States. After ministering for a number of years in music and worship to a circuit of small churches, he is now concentrating on writing and publishing both fiction and non-fiction books. Patrick and his wife Judy make their home in northern California and are the parents of two adult children and have five grandchildren.


Patrick has a new book coming out through Harvest House entitled A Quilt for Jenna.  Though the book is not yet released, you can pre-order through Patrick's website. Ordering info is below the interview.


What motivated you to write this book?

I was reading a blog in 2010 by Nick Harrison, Senior Editor at Harvest House about how writers could advance their careers in 2011. At the end he invited readers to submit story ideas.  He mentioned that he liked Amish stories and Quilting Stories.  So I submitted an idea for an Amish Quilting story.  He liked it and asked for some sample chapters.  I was thinking short story at the time.  I sent the sample chapters to Steve Laube, a literary agent that I knew from the Mt. Hermon Christian Writer’s Conference.  He encouraged me to make it into a novel and come up with two follow-up ideas for a series.  I worked on it from April of 2011 until September.  I sent the manuscript to Nick and Steve.  Steve asked if he could represent me in the project.  A few weeks later, Nick submitted it to the editorial committee at Harvest House.  They accepted it and the rest is history.

Tell us a little more about your book.  

Let me give you the blurb I wrote for the back of the book.
Amish + Quilts = readers delight!  And in this first book in Patrick Craig’s Apple Creek Dreams series, readers will follow Jerusha Springer’s journey out of tragic circumstances to a new life of hope.  

Jerusha has spent months making the most beautiful quilt anyone in Apple Creek, Ohio, has ever seen, and she knows it’s going to take first prize at the Quilt Fair in Dalton.  The prize will be her ticket out of the Amish way of life—away from the memories of her dead daughter and her tormented husband.  But on the way to the Fair, she gets caught in the Storm of The Century and Jerusha’s driver crashes their car.  While the driver goes for help, Jerusha is led by someone, or something, to the side of a lost little girl.  By the time the storm clears, Jerusha finds there is a greater prize to be won than money and blue ribbons.
A beautiful story of loss….and redemption.

Q: What do you hope people will learn from this book?
Answer: The two issues Jerusha has to deal with are pride and unbelief.  Her husband, Reuben is a legalist which leads to the death of their daughter.  Both of them have to come to grips with these issues.  I think most of us will find one or more of those issues facing us in our own lives.

Do you have a writing tip you’d like to share for those who are writers or those who wish to write for publication?

I believe in traditional publishing.  Yes, there are some people who have made it by self-publishing.  But the way I see it, if you are a good writer, it won’t matter unless you meet the right people who can help you with your career.  The best place to do that is at writer’s conferences.  My three-book deal was a product of the relationships I built attending Mt. Hermon over a four year period.

What are your hobbies?

My wife and I are real homebodies.  We love to garden, raise chickens and sheep, and spend time with our grandkids.

 What is the exact book title and where can people purchase it?

The book is titled A Quilt For Jenna. It is the first book in my Apple Creek Dreams Series published by Harvest House Publishers.  It will be available in all the usual stores by February, 2013, on Amazon.com on my author’s page or on my website at http://www.patrickecraig.com.  You can also check out my Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/PatrickECraig or subscribe to my blog, Apple Creek Dreams, which will be on my website at the beginning of July, for more updates. My current blog, Words to Live By, which has some excerpts from the book, is at http://patrickecraig.wordpress.com/.  You can also go to my Harvest House Author page at http://harvesthousepublishers.com/authors/patrick-e-craig/  for more updates.

---
Teena Stewart is an author/artist/ministry leader. Her most recent book is The Treasure Seeker: Finding Love and Value in the Arms of Your Loving Heavenly Father.  For more info on her books and writing visit www.teenastewart.com




No comments:

Post a Comment