My Blog Guest

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book Excerpt by Karen Kilby from Her Book Becoming a Woman of Purpose


I am pleased to spotlight Karen Kilby and her new book Becoming a Woman of Purpose: A Thirty One Day Devotional. Karen R. Kilby is an international speaker, a Certified Personality Trainer with CLAS Services, Inc. providing Wired That Way Personality Seminars and Workshops as well as a speaker and speaker/trainer for Stonecroft Ministries. 

She has over 30 stories published in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series and other faith-based publications. Karen is the author of Becoming a Woman of Purpose, A Thirty-one Day Devotional, addressing relevant issues people struggle with everyday and offering hope for a new outlook on life, shedding light on the need to look beyond the ordinary and encouraging readers to look for God's involvement in the hum drum of everyday existence. She was recognized as FamilyTime's 2010 Woman of Achievement for the Arts and resides in Kingwood, Texas.

Karen has been kind enough to share an excerpt from her book.


A MARRIAGE MADE IN HEAVEN

By Karen R. Kilby

Excerpt from Becoming a Woman of Purpose, A Thirty-one Day Devotional

"Wives, fit into your husband's plans for if they refuse to listen when you talk to them about the Lord, they will be won by your respectful, pure behavior. Your godly lives will speak to them better than any words." I Peter 3:1

We sat across the kitchen table from each other, not quite knowing what to say. We had just come from a counseling session with a pastor of a local church. It was my hope that if anyone had the answer to saving our marriage, it would be God and this pastor could lead us to him. The pastor's advice was exactly what I expected. If we trusted God to be a part of our marriage, God would help us overcome our differences. 
"Well," David said, "you are the one with the connection to God," as he got up from the table and left for work.
Connected to God. How good it felt to be connected to God. I wanted to be connected to David too. We had been married for ten years and had four beautiful children and a lovely home.  Anyone looking at us from the outside would have thought we had it all together. The truth of the matter was we were on the verge of a separation. If it hadn't been for my friend, Marie, I would not have known how to connect to God.
As I sat at the table contemplating what David had said, the thought came to me that I should call him at work and say the words, "I love you." Where in the world did that thought come from? God must certainly know I did not have those feelings, at the moment. The thought persisted, and it was as if God was telling me he would provide what I needed at just the right time. So I made the call. David's response was, "You don't know how much I needed to hear that." When I hung up I thought, that was great! Then it hit me. He'd be coming home at five!  Then what? At that moment I felt God prodding me to meet him at the door with a hug and a kiss and again reminding me that he would give me what I needed at just the right time. And, he did!
When I began to study the Bible, I learned the love passage that explained what God had been teaching me.  "Love is very patient and kind; never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud, never haughty, selfish or rude. Love does not demand its own way. It isn't irritable or touchy. It doesn't hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do it wrong. It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever truth wins out. If you love someone, you will be loyal to him no matter what the cost. You will always believe in him, always expect the best of him and always stand your ground defending him."   
I Corinthians 13:4-7
I understood, perhaps for the first time, that it wasn't what David could do for me but what God could do inside my heart. That was such a different way of living and loving than what I had ever experienced. I used to say, "Three strikes and you are out!" Now I was given a choice of how I could react and relate. I could choose to follow God's unconditional love for David or my natural instinct to be unforgiving and selfish.
David began to notice the changes in me were real and responded to God's love himself.  The Bible says, "When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside.  He's not the same anymore.  A new life has begun." 2 Corinthians 5:17  That's what happened to me and to David. 

Prayer
Thank you, Father, for your transforming, unconditional love that offers me a new beginning. 
Discovery
Have you discovered God's transforming love for your life? 
 ---


Karen has developed a lively BLOG on her website: www.karenkilby.tateauthor.com. Her book: Becoming a Woman of Purpose, A Thirty-one Day Devotional is available by order from any bookstore and on-line from www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore and www.amazon.com in a paperback or e-book format.


Links: 




No comments:

Post a Comment