My Blog Guest

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Interview with Kimberly Payne, Author of Trees of the Book

I'm happy to have Kimberley Payne as a guest today. Kimberley is a motivational speaker and author. Kimberley has volunteered as a teacher in many children's programs at her church, as a teacher's aide for students' reading in the classroom, and within the library at her children's school. She works as an Elementary School Secretary for the Catholic School Board. She combines her teaching experience and her love of writing to create educational materials for children about family, fitness, science and faith. www.kimberleypayne.com
Tell us a little about your book. My children’s activity book is called Trees of the Book – Learning from God’s Creation. It looks at 7 different trees and the stories that surround them as presented in the Bible. Each tree tells the story of where it is found in scripture. This is followed by three discussion questions to dig a little deeper. Students learn how to identify the trees by the leaf, bark, branches etc. Each section ends with a fun activity such as a maze or word search.



What was the inspiration behind the book? Why did you write the book?

As an avid walker, I have a love and appreciate nature, especially hiking through the woods. I also like to read the Bible and found myself curious about the trees mentioned in scripture. At the time I started my research, I was actively involved in children’s ministry in my church so wanted to share what I learned in an entertaining format for the children. I produced one-sheets to fit into the weekly bulletins and featured one tree a week for seven weeks. I collected these together and added facts about each tree with fun activities. And voila, I had the beginnings of this book! 

What do you hope this book accomplishes?
I hope this book gives children in grades 2/3 an easy and fun way to learn about trees and about the Bible.

What is Your Favorite Kind of Tree and Why?
I personally love the palm tree. Although I live in Canada and we don’t have any here, I’ve vacationed at beautifully exotic locations where these trees lined the streets.
In the book, Trees of the Book, I absolutely love the artwork that Esther created for the palm tree. She did an exceptional job.


What is One of Your Weirdest or Most Interesting Habits?
I have a weird habit of counting – I count how many stairs I walk up or how many floor tiles in a bathroom. I count anything that has a pattern to it. 

How Can Readers Connect with You?
My website    www.kimberleypayne.com
My Facebook author page  www.facebook.com/KimberleyPayne.Author

3 comments:

  1. Teena, thanks for featuring me and my children's book on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Kimberley.
    Blessings,
    Janis Cox

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to have you, Kimberley. Thanks for being a guest.

    ReplyDelete