My Blog Guest

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Book Review – Catherin Coulter’s Split Second



 
This is my first introduction to Catherine Coulter. Apparently her characters Savich and Sherlock have appeared in previous books. The main good guys are four FBI agents including married agents Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock. They are joined by agents Lucy Carlyle and Cooper McKnight.

The book has three plotlines.  The main crime involves a serial killer on the loose. I was pleasantly surprised at who the serial killer turned out to be. I love surprises like that.  Nice twist.

Subplots include a dark family secret that comes out following Lucy’s father’s sudden death and a mystery around her grandfather who disappeared. I won’t tell you what Lucy finds in the attic, but it kept me on the edge of my seat, though I wasn’t really surprised. The surprise was more that what I thought had happened did happen. Coulter adds a supernatural element involving a mysterious ring. I was annoyed by this. Perhaps because the paranormal stuff just seemed tacked on and there was no real explanation of the true origin of a ring of power (which has elements of rip off from The Lord of the Ring) especially since the ring can be misused and all consuming for those who carry it.  I basically had a “give me a break” reaction to the supernatural element because this plot line was the only place we saw anything supernatural.  It just didn’t fit.

The third plotline surrounds a robbery victim and it’s this convenience store robbery the book opens with and it’s a great hook.

I was impressed that Coulter had three good plots going. I was unimpressed with the multiple lead characters. The romance element between Lucy and Copper was there but I wanted more of it. For any newcomer to Coulter’s characters, it was hard to know who we were supposed to root for with four leads. I give this 3 ½ out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment