My Blog Guest

Friday, May 16, 2014

Book Review: The Grave Maurice by Martha Grimes

This is my first introduction to best-selling author, Martha Grimes but it certainly won’t be the last time I read one of her books. Grimes has the rare talent of being able to incorporate humor and sensitive, unique descriptions and characters. Richard Jury is a Scotland Yard superintendent recovering from gunshot wounds from a perious case. He’s told to take it easy after his release but is determined to occupy himself. When he learns about the abduction of his surgeon’s daughter which occurred two years earlier, he’s snagged, and becomes unofficially involved in the case. 

The plot centers around the thoroughbred racing and horse breeding world. Jury’s wealthy friend Melrose Plant provides a great sidekick and comic relief.  I loved the story and the author’s style and was stunned, that though this is set in England and seems authentically British in every way, Grimes is an American. I give it five out of five stars. Now I have to go find more Richard Jury novels to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment