My Blog Guest

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

The book has was on the New York Times top seller list 10 years ago and remains a favorite. The allegory is similar to Pilgrim’s Progress or Hinds Feet on High Places. Though not Christian in content, the book has a spiritual message of fulfilling one’s destiny. It follows a shepherd boy named Santiago who has an encounter with the King of Salem Melchizedek (from the Bible). He tells the boy that his destiny “personal legend” lies in the form of buried treasure in Egypt near the pyramids. The boy sets off on a quest to find this treasure and suffers setbacks, life changing circumstances, and spiritual advice along the way.

It was interesting to me how the author blends religions. Though I don’t feel the heart of this story is anything new, the individual quest to find and fulfill their true calling and giftedness, it is good to hear it again and be reminded of the difference of living out what we are designed to do makes in our lives. The writing is simple, the characters are flat, but that is to be expected with an allegory. It’s more about the message in the story…. I give this three out for five stars mainly because allegories are not my favorite and I don’t feel he’s really saying anything I didn’t already know, but I needed to be reminded of it, as we all do. I found it motivational and inspiring. It has affirmed my quest to pursue what I am best at despite what other people say.

Here's the link to The Alchemist on amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment