My Blog Guest

Friday, August 22, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: FLABBERGASTED BY RAY BLACKSTON

From the moment I started this book by Ray Blackston I couldn’t put it down. I can’t attribute it to one particular thing but to a gift of combined talents that hooked me. These include his superb writing, keen observations, ability for humor, and a unique story telling style, all from a single man’s perspective.


The main character, Jay, an investment broker is single, new in town, and has recently broken up with his girlfriend.  Though he’s not necessarily a spiritually-minded person, Jay randomly chooses a Presbyterian church to attend. He acted on the advice of his real estate agent. According to her, churches are the best place to meet other singles. When the single’s group goes on a beach trip, Jay is captivated by Ali, a tan girl who marches to her own drummer and who just happens to be a short-term missionary on furlough from serving in Ecuador.  I can’t recall the last time I enjoyed a book with such a great combination of sensitivity and wit. Is it a romance, chick lit, or guy lit?  Is there such a thing?  You be the judge. I give this five out of five stars. And there’s good news. This is book one in a series of three.

Here's the amazon.com link.

No comments:

Post a Comment